Stainless steel fabrication in Oil, Gas and Power Industries

Share this post with your friends
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Image of oil, gas and power

Stainless steel fabrication is essential to energy sector

Stainless steel has application all industries, notably construction, steelmaking, mining, shipbuilding, aircraft manufacturing, energy production. Today, there are over 150 grades of stainless steel, each an alloy with varying volumes of Nickel, Chromium, Molybdenum and other chemicals. Most applications rely on less than 10% of all such grades. It is only in the most specialised applications that the other 90% are used.

Stainless steel’s significant growth in industry mainly arises from its corrosion-resistance and heat-resistance properties. Corrosion is mainly caused by exposure to oxygen and its reaction with metal. Other causes of corrosion include high temperatures such as those of working plants, other harsh environments, radiation and chemicals. Stainless steel has particular heat-resistance capability described as its “formability” and “durability” and strength to weight ratio.

Oil, gas and power industry makes particular use of various Nickel-containing stainless steels, similarly for corrosion resistance and heat resistance. Oil, gas and power industry by definition requires extensive heat resistance technology. Stainless steel may be used in various forms within an energy plant for example, as engineered components, laser cutting, sheet metal laser cutting, welding, and metal fabrication (see below).

Nijen Stainless is among the leading stainless steel fabricators Northern Ireland and provides laser cutting and other services for many of its energy customers.